Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Underway Again #5


 
 
It is now January 14, Ukrainian New Year and I am sitting in the lobby of a professional building writing this blog as Roman looks for a gas station to get gasoline for the 4 stroke engine we have on the dinghy.  We are anchored in Middle River Florida. 

It is an awesome anchorage just as nice if not nicer than I remember it from 5 years ago.  The water is clear and looks clean.  We are surrounded by million dollar plus homes. 

Yesterday when we anchored there were two small boats already anchored - two families with about 6 children jumping in and out of the water.  They had stopped for swim.  The weather in sunny and beautiful, a warm front has the temperatures in the 80's for the week.  I find the sun too hot and sit in the shade on the boat.  Thank goodness for our bimini.

Just to bring you up to date, thanks to Dr. Rick I had the surgery on October 9 and it went well.   I was out of the hospital the next day and now had to work at getting better.  I am blessed with my children.  Although I spent time at my son's, I mostly stayed with my daughter, and she was absolutely wonderful.  She joked that she now had three children to look after. She drove me around to many appointments and made sure I was well looked after. Katya is a marvellous cook and is very careful about what she buys and where she shops.  I have never eaten so well.


I believe that everything has a silver lining; you just have to look for it. 


The accident gave me an opportunity to see my grandchildren on a daily basis, get to know them  much better and to bond closely with them. I miss them every day.
It also showed me how lucky I was to have such caring friends.  Lesia  took me to Sunnybrook for the surgery and  Jeanette for the follow up visit.  Olia came over and helped with the baby when Katya had to go to the doctor. Val and Ron took me out for dim sum. Irene put me up for a night and visited me. The rest called me and made me feel loved and special. Baba Maria made me varenyky(perogies). I am truly thankful for my friends and family.

While I was being pampered at home, Roman was battling the seas alone or mostly alone.  Richard, a new friend we made at Waterford, went with Roman from Riverview Marina where Roman replaced the furlers that were damaged in our lock accident and did whatever repairs he could.  The mast was stepped. (put up) Some repairs will have to wait until we get the boat back to Canada. 
 
 Beautiful shoreline!


The weather was quite nippy and they were grateful for the protection the bimini provided.
Off the boys went down the Hudson River to New York City.
 
This is a the carrier Intreped which has an old space shuttle on it and has been
converted into a Space Museum.
 

If I had been with Roman we would have stopped in New York for sightseeing and maybe a theatre production.  Roman and Richard just cruised by waving at the Statue of Libertyand then they went out into the Atlantic. 
 
 The waves on the Atlantic were quite big but what was difficult was that the wave intervals were very small which meant the waves came quickly and the ride was choppy.


They put into Bargnet Bay where the winds were over 30 knots all night. Bargnet Bay is tricky getting in and out and going out, they got stuck in a sandbar and had to call Boat US for a tow. They were on their way by 10:00.
 


Richard enjoyed being at the helm and by 3:30 they made it to Atlantic City where they put up at the Golden Nugget Marina, formerly the Trump Tower Marina.
 
 
Richard's wife met them there to pick Richard up.  They all went to dinner and from the look of the picture, it looks as if they enjoyed themselves.

Moya Mreeya docked at Golden Nugget.







Atlantic City at night.






Golden Nugget at night.  Fortunately Roman does not have any desire to gamble.  Now, if I had been there I would have gone in and seen what I could do with $40 which is my limit.


 

 
 

 

 
 


 

No comments: