Monday, October 8, 2012

Underway Again #4


 
Here is a good picture of the Waterford Visitors Center with Lock 2 behind it.  Our boat is the third one back
 



 
 


 
I had mentioned Hurricane Irene last year and the flooding that occurred.  To put it in perspective take a look at the white plaque to the right of and above the door of the Visitor's Center.  See how far up that is and now look at the picture of the boats along the waterfront.  The water had to come up over the docks, over the sidewalks above and almost completely cover the first floor of the building.  There was a lot of damage and many homes had to be evacuated.
 
My foot has continued to really hurt and so does my chest so I decided to go back into an emergency department.  I had just called a taxi when one of the volunteers, a wonderful woman named Barbara Danskin offered to drive me to Samaritan Hospital in  Troy as she had to go in for a chest X-ray as well to the same hospital.  She dropped me off in emergency at about 10:30.  The care was phenomenal!  I had an EKG even though I said my it was my chest that felt tight, blood work done, a chest X-ray, a X-ray of my right leg below the knee and an ultrasound of my entire right leg to rule out a blood clot all completed by 12:30.  My left knee was also checked out and it's multi coloured but fine. 
 
It was determined that I have broken my leg and I have pneumonia.  I was given antibiotics, prednisone, an OptiChamber with Ventolin and a mixture of hydrocodone (narcotic) and acetaminophen for pain.  They called an orthopaedic doctor and I was wheeled across the street from the hospital to his office.  That was the only place I had to wait for any time at all.  He gave me a removable cast that I keep on at all times except for when I shower.  By 3:00 I was all done!
 
Barbara and Roman came back for me; we got the prescriptions filled and I was back on the boat with my foot up by 4:00.
 
 
Coming down the ramp to our boat.
 
 
This is a better view of our boat just beyond the ramp to get down to the dock.
 
 This cast feels very heavy and makes it harder to use the crutches.  I was told that I would have to wear it for at least three months.  We talked about going home but we decided that we wanted to go on to warmer climates and by the time we get there my leg should be healed.  We initially decided to stay in Waterford for another few days so that I can rest and get this bacterial pneumonia under control.  There still is one more boat part to arrive and we then we will go on to Riverview Marina where we will do repairs and step the mast. (put it up)

What I didn't realize at first was just how difficult it is for me to use crutches as I have rotator cuff tears in both my shoulders.  The crutches just aggravate the pain.  Roman and I discussed the difficulties we would face.  My leg should be seen again in 10 -12 days which means finding another hospital and going in through emergency.  My confidence in that method had rapidly eroded with one hospital telling me my leg was only contused and to put weight
 
on as tolerated and the next saying it's broken and do not put weight on for 12+ weeks.  Also we considered the problem I would have getting in and out of a dinghy with a cast and crutches.  Often the docks are very high or very low and you have to step up or down.  We figured out that it would be impossible for me to manage, so we decided that I will have to go home.  I made a train reservation for Thursday morning and it would take all day but it is faster than the plane as there is no direct flight.  Not only would I have to change planes but I would also have to wait anywhere from 5 to 15 hours between flights depending what airport they fly to.  Unbelievable!  Although the train stopped at all major centres, the route was direct Albany - Oakville and they had a disability service with seating with more room.  At the border all the passengers had to get off the train with their luggage for custom inspection except for myself.  I was accommodated with the custom officer coming aboard the train to see me.   Here we are waiting for the train at the station in Albany. 

What makes any trip memorable are the people we meet along the way.  While we were waiting for the train at the station we met a very fashionable young woman, Eliza, who was waiting for a train to New York.  She turned out to be a fashion stylist and image consultant and we had a most entertaining conversation while we waited for our trains.

We met a boat captain, Richard, who has befriended Roman and will continue with him to Riverview Marina and then down the Hudson and out onto the blue water (Atlantic Ocean)  Roman will then continue on his own all the way to Florida.  I hope to be back with Roman as soon as I can.
 
Roman with Richard Powell
 
I have come home and found out that my leg is broken more severely than I originally thought.   Tomorrow I will be going into Sunnybrook Hospital to have a titanium rod placed in my bone for support and bone immobilization. 

Here is the before picture.
 
We shall see what the future holds!

To be continued...................................


 
 

No comments: